Fighting with the scanner/computer

Been trying to get the scanner to scan clean cover art and getting herringbone and distortion everywhere. Had been scanning directly to .jpg. Tried it at 72, 150 and 300 dpi with the same results. 300 was better but still some distortion showing up. The scanner was making a bit of a squeak when the carriage was returning to home position so I took it apart and lubricated all the moving parts as well as the slides. It now makes less noise than it has since we bought it but still getting the distortion and herringbone patterns. So tried scanning the covers in using .png which works. But they also are huge files. Where the jpg files are between 100k and 200k in finished size the .png files are from 800k to 1.2meg for the same size output. At that point I tried using gimp to convert the .png to a .jpg and all is now well… It just takes me about 3 to 4 times as long to process a single cover.

Onward and upward as it were…

Dave

Advertisements
Categories: About The Nero Wolfe Site | Tags: | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: